James Ward-Prowse scored a dramhttps://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/8933434/ atic overdue equaliser for Southampton from the penalty spot after a VAR assessment in a pulsating 2-2 draw towards Newcastle at St James' Park.
After 21 attempts on purpose, Southampton took a past due factor off Newcastle with their 22nd from the set-piece presented inside the very last seconds of the sport which Ralph Hasenhuttl said afterwards "confirmed we're preventing".
A few boos rung around the stadium at half-time as Newcastle looked slightly lacklustre going forward, but the mood fast became remedy whilst Callum Wilson steered his header home inside the 55th minute.
- How the teams covered Match stats
- Premier League furniture soccer on Sky Sports
- Stream the biggest moments on NOW for just £25 p/m
Southampton gave the look of they may had been made to remorse a huge threat missed via Moussa Djenepo halfway through the primary half of as he ignored an open intention from simplest two yards out.
But Mohamed Elyounoussi located an equaliser along with his first Premier League aim for Southampton, bundling in at the rebound from a Freddie Woodman keep inside the 74th minute.
Allan Saint-Maximin thought he had scored the winner within the 90th minute when he completed from near range, but after Adam Armstrong turned into tripped inside the box through Jamaal Lascelles, Ward-Prowse denied the hosts their first Premier League win of the season.
Newcastle: Woodman (7), Murphy (5), Schar (6), Lascelles (five), Fernandez (6), Ritchie (5), Longstaff (five), Willock (6), Almiron (5), Saint-Maximin (8), Wilson (7)
Subs:Joelinton (5), Fraser (N/A)
Southampton:McCarthy (6), Walker-Peters (5), Stephens (6), Salisu (6), Livramento (five), Romeu (6), Elyounoussi (five), Ward-Prowse (6), Djenepo (6), Armstrong (6), Adams (6)
Subs: Redmond (6), Broja (five), Diallo (N/A)
Man of the suit: Allan Saint-MaximinVAR drama denies Newcastle 3 factors
Southampton started out on the front foot and started out the higher facet. Djenepo ought to have had the traffic beforehand within the https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/8933562/ twenty third minute, but he come what may controlled to miss an open aim from two-yards out after the ball became squared across to the Mali global by Che Adams.
- Isaac Hayden (knee damage) was changed by Sean Longstaff in imperative midfield. Allan Saint-Maximin recovered from his minor foot injury against Burnley within the Carabao Cup in midweek to begin the game
- For Southampton, it changed into changes. Kyle Walker-Peters and Mohamed Elyounoussi got here in for Theo Walcott and Romain Perraud
Hasenhuttl's aspect endured to push ahead down the wings and came near scoring once more inside the thirty eighth minute via a Ward-Prowse unfastened-kick from the left flank, but his bouncing, deflected strike turned into punted away through Freddie Woodman.
Newcastle's attacking gameplan appearing to be get the ball to Saint-Maximin and Joe Willock at every opportunity with their excellent possibilities of the first half arrived within the final 5 minutes. A counter-assault, led through Saint-Maximin, ended in Wilson blasting over the bar moments before the previous Bournemouth striker saw his near-put up header excellently parried away by means of Alex McCarthy.
Image:Joe Willock runs on the Southampton defence for Newcastle
Newcastle looked rejuvenated inside the 2d half and Wilson observed the opener, handing over a cushioned header from Jacob Murphy to attain his second Premier League aim of the season.
Southampton fought again through Elyounoussi. His stabbed attempt on purpose from close variety was parried away via Woodman before he turned into lucky to bundle the ball into the net for his first Saints purpose inside the Premier League.
St James' Park almost erupted whilst Saint-Maximin scored what looked to be a late winner inside the ninetieth minute. Saint-Maximin started an attack which saw substitute Ryan Fraser have his shot blocked on the road, but it got here out to the Frenchman to thrash the ball into the internet.
Then got here even later drama. Armstrong was about to shoot however Lascelles made a last-ditch tackle which referee Paul Tierney determined to present as a penalty after a demanding VAR evaluate. Ward-Prowse converted his spot-kick low into the lowest corner.
What the managers stated:
We did our nice… Im sorry men— Allan Saint-Maximin (@asaintmaximin) August 28, 2021
https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/8933600/statistics-position="accessibility-message">Please use Chrome browser for a greater available video participant
Newcastle boss Steve Bruce admitted his side did provide away a late penalty in opposition to Southampton however says the procedure of the way it became given needs to be looked at.
Newcastle manager Steve Bruce: "The fanatics are entitled to their opinion [approximately the first-half of performance]. I discover the whole thing disappointing as every person might but the first half of wasn't good sufficient. I be given that. The 2d half of we played with extra depth, cause and exceeded the ball higher. It become a disappointing afternoon all spherical.
"For me it's far a penalty. My subject is why the referee is going to the display. I don't know why referees pass but I will say it changed into a penalty."
Please use Chrome browser for a greater available video player
Ralph Hasenhuttl admits the dramatic finish in Southampton’s 2-2 draw at Newcastle was not good for his nerves, however the Saints boss says his side ignored some fantastic probabilities inside the first half of.
Southampton supervisor Ralph Hasenhuttl: "In the beyond we've played good games there and in no way taken some thing. It became always running against us. In this recreation we deserved at the least a point. We have no longer been able to win nowadays however if you have to take a late point you should take it.
"When you come back inside the 93rd minute then you need to be happy. We confirmed we're combating till the quit because coming back from one of these hit in extra time it's notable for the men and deserved.
"It was a clean penalty. Mike Dean turned into the VAR and he couldn't say no that it wasn't a penalty."
When requested about Djenepo's overlooked threat in the first 1/2, Hasenhuttl said: "It became an honestly fantastic threat we ought to rating typically, sure."Opta stats
- Newcastle have picked up just one factor from their starting 3 league games of 2021-22; simplest in 1999-00 (0) have they'd fewer from their first 3 fits of a Premier League marketing campaign.
- Newcastle v Southampton turned into the primary Premier League healthy to peer each facets rating in the 90th minute or later and result in a draw on the grounds that Watford 1-1 Leicester City in June 2020.
- James Ward-Prowse's penalty for Southampton (95:51) became today's goal conceded through Newcastle in the Premier League for the reason that we've got genuine aim instances to be had (2006-07).
- Newcastle have dropped five points from prevailing positions in this season's Premier League; a joint-high in 2021-22 to date, together with combatants Southampton.
- Callum Wilson became the primary English player to score in both of Newcastle's beginning two domestic games of a Premier League season due to the fact that Scott Parker in 2006-07.
- Having neither scored nor assisted a goal in any of his first 19 appearances for Southampton in all competitions, Mohamed Elyounoussi has now been without delay concerned in six goals in his closing aggressive games for the membership (4 dreams, two assists).
2 - Newcastle v Southampton is the first Premier League suit to peer both sides score within the 90th minute or later and result in a draw due to the fact Watford 1-1 Leicester City in June 2020. Drama.— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) August 28, 2021
Newcastle travel to Manchester United wherein Steve Bruce's guys could be up against https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/8933468/ Cristiano Ronaldo on his 2nd debut on Sept. 11; Kick-off at 3pm.
Southampton will host West Ham at St Mary's on the identical day; Kick-off at 3pm.